Using the Attendance Tracker
Once you have set up a gradebook, you can begin using its companion attendance tracker. To view the attendance tracker, click on the ATTENDANCE tab.
Viewing the Calendar
When you enter the Attendance mode, the attendance tracker displays the current week according to the system date on your computer. If the school year for the selected gradebook has not yet begun, the attendance tracker displays the first week of the upcoming grading period. You can display different weeks of the calendar year in several ways:
- To move forward or backward one week at a time: Use the << and >> buttons at the bottom of the screen.
- To view the first week of a different term: Select the term from the drop-down menu in the upper-left corner of the screen.
- To view a specific date: Select GO TO DATE from the Attendance item in the menu bar. The week that contains the date you entered will be displayed.
You may see that the columns for some days, such as Saturday and Sunday, are colored gray. This indicates that school (or this class) is not regularly held on these days. You will not be able to mark attendance on these days. See Choosing the Days in the School Week for more information.
When you enter Attendance mode, you may need to select the gradebook corresponding to the group of students whose attendance you want to record or review. To select a different gradebook, choose it from the drop-down menu labeled GRADEBOOK. To take attendance, follow these steps:
- Click on the ATTENDANCE tab. Be sure you have selected the correct gradebook, and that you are viewing the appropriate calendar week (see Viewing the Calendar for more information).
- Locate the first student in the student list who is NOT present, and follow his or her row in the table until it intersects with the column of the appropriate date.
- Click in the cell at this intersection. A drop-down menu will appear from which you can select the appropriate attendance code (see Attendance Codes on the previous page for more information).
- Repeat steps 1 3 for all students in the student list who are not present.
- You can change the status of a student you inadvertently marked absent back to present by selecting the EMPTY item in the drop-down menuthe last one on the list.
- If you mark a student tardy, you will be prompted to enter the time that student arrived to class. By default, this will be the time that you actually enter the attendance status into Learner Profile. You can modify this time in the window that appears so that it accurately reflects when the student arrived to class.
If your class does not meet on its regularly scheduled day, you can "cancel" class in the attendance tracker by clicking on the small white square at the top of the heading for that day. The column will then be colored gray.